In October 2020, the federal government announced a long-awaited list of single-use plastics to be banned in Canada… that only included six items.
This ban is part of the government's plan to achieve zero plastic waste by 2030. A plan that has industry’s fingerprints all over it and is mostly based on the false hope that we can recycle our way out of the plastic pollution crisis. The reality is that in the last 70 years, the plastics industry has only been able to recycle 9% of the plastic produced worldwide. With a similar track record in Canada, tackling the other 91% is a pipedream without massive reduction.
To create real change and move away from this "take-make-waste" pattern, Canada’s strategy must include zero waste fundamentals: REDUCE at source and REUSE targets, as well as a wider ban on non-essential single-use plastics.
Tell Minister Wilkinson that we need bold action to transition to a truly circular, zero waste economy.
Tell the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change that Reduction and Reuse are key for Canada’s zero plastic waste strategy!
Greenpeace Canada will respect your privacy and keep you up to date on our campaigns. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Your email will be sent to:
Will you share this petition? Ask your friends and family to email the government to call for the zero plastic waste plan our planet needs!
, Greenpeace’s campaign to stop single-use plastic is funded entirely by people like you.
Will you join us as a supporter with a regular amount of $5 or more a month?
– join us demanding a future that works for everyone, and protects the planet for the long term.
Thank you for your ongoing monthly donation. Can you top it up with a one-time gift?